Your reading assignment for this week gave you an opportunity to become more aware about the literacy crisis in the U.S. and around the world. please take some time to think about how the data and research may impact you and what stood out to you in your readings. be sure to address the following:
- Did any of the statistics surprise you? Why or why not?
- What do these numbers tell you about the importance of knowing proper literacy strategies to address learners’ needs?
- What do these studies tell you about the importance of carefully planned instruction in today’s classrooms?
1. Education – Literacy data. (2019, November). unicef. https://data.unicef.org/topic/education/literacy/#.
- Consider the data from this site, which explores literacy statistics around the world.
2. Improving adolescent literacy: Effective classroom and intervention practices. (2008). Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance. https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/Docs/PracticeGuide/adlit_pg_082608.pdf.
- Read pages 11-36 of this document to better understand literacy best practices. To effectively teach literature and writing at the secondary level, we must first know what research says about best practice, as well as the process learners have been taught for reading before they enter our classroom.
3. Teaching secondary students to write effectively. (2016). Institute of Education Sciences, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance. https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/Docs/PracticeGuide/wwc_secondary_writing_110116.pdf.
- Read pages 1-42 in this document to gain a better understanding of best practices in secondary classrooms, as well as today’s definitions of literacy. These studies will guide your understanding of an appropriate selection of texts and strategies in secondary educational contexts.