Assignment 1 Steps
Resources: Appendix A of Financial Accounting: Tools for Business Decision Making
Note: This is a two part assignment.
Answer questions A-F in problem CT12-1 in Financial Accounting (p.640) using both the Apple 2014 10-K from the appendix and the most recent 10-K report from Apple’s website (used in Week 2). Answer the questions for fiscal year-ends 2016, 2015 and 2014.
Provide an 300-word analysis of your findings discussing the changes from year to year (2014 to 2015 and 2015 to 2016).
Include conclusions concerning the management of the company’s cash.
Complete a 350-word summary of findings and financial analysis from the following questions:
• What is the par or stated value per share of Apple’s common stock?
• What percentage of Apple’s authorized common stock was issued at September 2014, 2015 and 2016?
• How many shares of common stock were outstanding at September 2014, 2015 and 2016?
• Calculate the payout ratio, earnings per share, and return on common stockholders’ equity for 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Use the Week 5 Excel® spreadsheet, use Excel formulas to calculate results and submit with your analysis and summary.
CT12-1 The financial statements of Apple Inc. are presented in Appendix A.
Answer the following questions.
(a) What was the amount of net cash provided by operating activities for the year ended September 27, 2014? For the year ended September 28, 2013?
(b) What was the amount of increase or decrease in cash and cash equivalents for the year ended September 27, 2014?
(c) Which method of computing net cash provided by operating activities does Apple use?
(d) From your analysis of the September 27, 2014, statement of cash flows, was the change in accounts receivable a decrease or an increase? Was the change in inventories a decrease or an increase? Was the change in accounts payable a decrease or an increase?
(e) What was the net cash used by investing activities for the year ended September 27, 2014?
(f) What was the amount of interest paid in the year ended September 27, 2014? What was the amount of income taxes paid for the same period?
Assignment 2 P12-9A Condensed financial data of Granger Inc. follow.
- New plant assets costing $100,000 were purchased for cash during the year.
- Old plant assets having an original cost of $57,500 and accumulated depreciation of $48,500 were sold for $1,500 cash.
- Bonds payable matured and were paid off at face value for cash.
- A cash dividend of $26,030 was declared and paid during the year.
Prepare a statement of cash flows using the indirect method.
Net cash provided—oper. act.
Prepare a statement of cash flows—direct method.
(LO 4), AP