DISCUSSION POST MUST BE 10+ SENTENCES AND PEER REVIEWS MUST BE 7+ SENTENCES STAY ON TOPIC BE POSITIVE AND DO NO NOT COMMENT ON GRAMMAR ERRORS ( WHEN DOING PEER REVIEWS YOU MUST TALK DIRECTLY TO THE CLASSMATE)
1) DISCUSSION POST
MUSIC AND COLORS FOR MOOD AND WORK
Please respond to one (1) of the following topics, using sources (textbook and links) under the Explore heading as the basis of your response:
- TOPIC OPTION ONE: Determine whether you prefer Debussy or Mahler after listening to works by each at the Websites below or in this week’s Music Folder and after reading about them in our textbook. Explain the reasons for your preference. Here we find musical composers inspired by poetry and by philosophy. Identify one (1) element within a work that you find interesting or intriguing by either composer, with regard to the manner in which the work is performed or conducted. Either describe the types of things that inspire you to creativity; or—even more to the point, discuss which music (Debussy or Mahler) would inspire more productivity or business in a workplace.
- TOPIC OPTION TWO: [This topic asks you to select two artists from the list of artists in the Explore section—I will also copy that list here: Van Gogh, Seurat, Cezanne, Gauguin, Munch, Picasso, Braque, and Matisse—select two out of this group—and a specific work by each. ] Describe two (2) color paintings by different artists (selected from the list or sources in the Explore section below) that you believe represent the following quote by Kandinsky on the subject of color in art. Justify your response. From Concerning the Spiritual in Art: “If you let your eye stray over a palette of colors, you experience two things. In the first place you receive a purely physical effect, namely the eye itself is enchanted by the beauty and other qualities of color. […] These are physical sensations, limited in duration. They are superficial, too, and leave no lasting impression behind if the soul remains closed. And so we come to the second result of looking at colors: their psychological effect. They produce a correspondent spiritual vibration, and it is only as a step towards this spiritual vibration that the physical impression is of importance. … Generally speaking, color directly influences the soul.” – Wassily Kandinsky. Discuss these ideas for the use of color and its impact in our own times, such as its effect for advertising and sales, or its impact in the workplace and home—or place of business, like a hotel or office complex.
Debussy and Mahler
- Chapter 33 (p. 1092-4), Debussy; (pp. 1104-1105), Mahler; review the Week 7 “Music Folder”
- “Approaching Mahler and Debussy” –
- Musical selections for Mahler – (Symphony No. 2, Finale; Resurrection Symphony) or (Symphony No. 1, 3rd Movement).
- Musical selection for Debussy – (Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune)
Kandinsky on Color
- Chapters 33 and 34, works by Van Gogh, Seurat, Cezanne, Gauguin, Munch, Picasso, Braque, and Matisse
- New York’s Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). Search names listed above at http://www.moma.org/collection/artist_index.php?st…
2) PEER REVIEW #1
Hello classmates and professor,
Vincent Van Gogh- Painting The Starry Night completed in 1889, perhaps one of his most famous compositions, full of color oranges and yellows different blues. The moon shining bright the lights from the town windows. This painting was done to with symbolization to the winter months with strong winds this may be why Van Gogh incorporated the swirls into his painting.
Pablo Picasso- Les Demoiselles D’Avignon, This painting of five prostitutes in a brothel in Barcelona Picasso’s native land. Completed in the summer of 1907 was mad with rounded and angular shapes to allow for a sense of tension in the painting.
Both these paintings embody the quote with the colors and depiction on the painting.
Works of art and colors impact us today without most people even noticing. When you visit most locations you see nudes and calming tones on walls to create a tranquil feel. Paintings in my place of work do this depending on the unit. For example the mother baby unit I work on had paintings of blossoming flowers this pay be a representation of the baby being born and being a blossoming new life waiting to flourish in the world.
3) PEER REVIEW #2
The beauty of both Debussy and Mahler music is extraordinary works of art. I must admit that I can find myself relaxing more to Debussy music more so than Mahler. Although both musicians are very in-depth with emotion, I would have to say that Mahler really touched my heart with his 2nd Symphony “Resurrection”.
As for listening to either musicians at work I would suggest Debussy for the first half of the day and Mahler the other half. Debussy will help get an individual’s day started moving to the I am awake and ready to get things done. After lunch we tend to be less productive at times; however, if you had Mahler in the background that may get the gears going and the blood flowing a little more.