write no less than 150 words in each question
1 What role did music play in the struggle for civil rights and the rise of the Black Power movement? Do you believe that music can/did help affect social change? In what ways can music and musicians contribute to or hinder political movements?
2 Live from Woodstock (or Monterey)!…
Find a YouTube video of a performance from either Woodstock or the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival (not one already included in the lectures), post it here and comment. In addition to describing the performance (the music, the ways the artists present the song, audience reaction, etc.), discuss how–in your opinion–this song fits within the “festival culture” of the late 1960s.
3 For this topic, select one of the musical examples presented in this unit and write one to two paragraphs discussing what you found particularly musically effective about the performance.
Your response should address some or all of the following questions (to the best of your abilities):
- What instruments are used in this song?
- What are some of the most clear sonic characteristics of the song? (i.e. form, timbre, singing style, vocal harmonies, unusual instruments, etc.; see Glossary of Musical Terms for more)
- How do these sounds relate to the genres that came before it?
- Why is this song relevant to the lecture/unit?
- Why did you chose this particular song? What made it stand out for you?
I am not asking you to make earth-shattering revelations here, just to demonstrate, in your own words, that you listened to the song, tried to understand what you were hearing and attempted to situate the song within the history of rock ’n’ roll as it is presented in this class to date.
Include the name of the song, the performer and in which lecture the performance appears at the top of your post.